Social media can get overwhelming when you are trying to manage it yourself. If you are a small or medium business and you do your own digital marketing campaigns, then you might want to consider a couple of things. Remember, different social media platforms require different approaches, content, imagery and so forth.
5 easy steps to create your social media content calendar:
- Identify which platforms are your top priority based on your objectives: The first question you must be asking yourself is: What do I want to achieve by placing my brand on these platforms? Once you have the answer, you can easily identify which platforms will enable you to reach you goal.
- Make sure you have already set a strategy and a plan for your social media activity: After answering the first question, you have a goal. Now you need to find a strategy and an action plan to achieve this goal. Make sure you write these things or create a presentation or document, or any other form of material which will collect all your ideas, plans, initiatives and campaigns in one place.
- Brainstorm for content ideas that can go on your social media platforms, write these ideas down: Even if you are a one man business and you see a benefit from being on social media or launching any SEO campaigns from different vendors, you have to brainstorm some ideas, search online for different approaches and write down what fits your company and/or if it is a new idea, make sure you have all aspects covered to launch a campaign. If you are brainstorming for weekly content ideas, look at what your company/business offers for the public, translate that to content ideas and most importantly make sure you humanize your brand. You are speaking to humans over a screen.
- Expand these ideas and explore how you can create content from it for at least 5 to 7 weeks (weekly posts): Once you settle on certain ideas, then you can now expand these ideas. Some ideas might be killed during the expansion phase as you realize they serve no purpose even-though they sound nice. Your content plan should last 5 to 7 weeks, which means you should be able to produce 7 pieces of content from every content idea. This is if we consider that you will be posting about each idea once a week.
- Create your content calendar virtually-physically: This is an easy step. All you need to do is create a table on your preferred word processing software and plug in the content per day and per week. If you want to draft your content per week then make sure you do it ahead of the posting times of the first post because you might reconsider some content and/or some things might come up last minute that you find important to post. If you plan to do a monthly content calendar make sure you prepare all the images, links and content and organize them per date and per time if you plan to post more than once a day.
- Schedule your content via your preferred content management platforms: This is the preferable method to push content on social media channels. However, there is an important point to be mentioned, don’t just schedule your content and forget about it, make sure you scan at least once a day for engagement, questions, complains or compliments. Some platforms allow you to schedule content from within and some don’t, you can do what you prefer when it comes to scheduling.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog posts newsletter for similar information every week.